What Souvenirs can i bring back? We did not worry about what we could legally bring back to Aus until we went shopping. All we were told was that if it is wood don’t bother. The local people will try to sell you anything and say it is ok, i am looking for a proper list of what you can and can not bring back but all i can find so far are typically vague government guide lines.
The last time i came through Perth airport I asked a customs official who said that you can bring wooden carvings back so long as ONE you declare it and TWO that there are no holes in the product that look like borer holes. If you do not declare it there is a good chance for a on the spot fine and confiscation. If there are borer holes in your carving will be Quarantined and if you want to get it back there will be a inspection fee but i do not how much that is so carefully inspect your purchase first.
I got this from here * Australian Gov Website * and i found the information confusing as the website is called What can’t I take into Australia but there is no details of what you cannot bring back only that you need to declare it. Click on the link for a full list, i reproduced the following because it covers wooden products and there are a lot offered in Bali.
- all potted/bare rooted plants, cuttings, roots, bulbs, corms, stems and other viable plant material
- banana products including food (fresh and dried) and souvenirs made with banana plant material
- souvenirs made with or filled with straw, including Thai cushions
- wooden articles and carvings including painted or lacquered items
- items that include bark
- artefacts, handicrafts and souvenirs made from plant material
- mats, bags and other items made from plant material, palm fronds or leaves
- straw products and packaging*
- bamboo, cane or rattan basket ware and furnishings
- potpourri* and coconut shells
- Christmas decorations, wreaths and ornaments
- dried flowers and arrangements
- fresh flowers and leis.
WHAT TO WEAR?
Light clothing, sandals or flat shoes, sun glasses and a bottle of water. For the middle of the day sunscreen and hat.
If you are in areas like Sanur you will need transport, give Mickey or G’Day a ring.